Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Diagnosis and a Home Coming

Tonight's posting is just a bunch of information. Let me know if you have any questions.

The test results from the EMG's were normal. She had a nerve conduction test done as well this week. It starts in the foot and runs up to her head. Everything was normal until it got to her neck, then it slowed way down and the returned to normal after passing her neck.

Much of today was spent waiting to see the neurosurgeon.  Someone finally came out and said that the head of the Neurosurgery Dept. reviewed her case and the MRI's that were done this week and agrees that she does not need neck surgery. None of the symptoms she is having would require surgery.

Here's what she does have: Cervical Myelopathy or Cervical Stenosis
(the name on the website link is different than what I put here, but it's basically the same thing)

The neurologist said that the muscle spasms and weakness she is experiencing is caused by the pain. It's a vicious cycle.  They have given her an older medication for the pain and should stop it. She will take it for two weeks and then start physical therapy here in Houston. It could last 7 weeks or more. And it's possible that it could take about the same amount of time that it's taken her to get this way.


The neurologist she has been assigned to is very nice and she really likes him. He told her that she could come back if she didn't feel she was getting better.

She didn't say this exactly, but I could tell that she's both relieved and depressed at the same time. She didn't want neck surgery, but she was hoping she'd need it because it might make her better faster, but she also has a treatment plan and a slow recovery.  She didn't want to come home with just medication and physical therapy.  She wanted something different, although no one is sure what we really wanted to hear. Does that make sense?

They are coming home on Friday as planned.  Please don't call or come by until next week.  She'll need the weekend to recover from the trip home. 

You can post messages to the blog by clicking on 'comments' (if the comment box is not visible on the page). Then you will probably need to scroll down to the comment box and  type what you want to say. Next, where is says to 'comment as' select 'anonymous'. Then click on 'Post' and you're done. 

OR you can send her an email to: aussiequinn@yahoo.com / You can also send me what you want to say and I can post it to the blog: purplestacy@mac.com 

Just be aware that she cannot personally respond to your emails because she cannot type on the computer. It's too painful in her arms and her hands.

She and Kim both would love to hear your encouraging words and how you've been praying for them.

Thank you all so much for your prayers. I will continue to post a few times a week on how she's doing with the pain and the physical therapy. 

3 comments:

  1. Well, I tried to comment on Kim's birthday, but I somehow could not complete the message. I have no idea what I was doing wrong! Anyway....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I have a birthday card for you and a Thanksgiving card for Anne. That doesn't mean I'm not thankful for you, Kim!!! I love you both and Houston is not the same without you! It just feels different. I am excited about your news and I am so glad they believe it is this simple! I know it will be a hard road to recovery, but I am so very thankful the doctors do not believe you have a disease that will last the rest of your life! Kim, I know you are relieved to have this news and you are both holding your breath to see how it goes! I hope you both have a very happy Thanksgiving in your hotel away from home! I know you BOTH will want to spend some time thanking Jesus for His hand in all of this. Kim, this would make a perfect time for you to make Jesus your very own. I love you...you'll never know how much! Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne and Kim,
    It's wonderful that you have reason to come home both hopeful and optimistic. Your recovery will be the answer to all of our prayers. I miss you, Anne, and can't wait for you to be back to your normal routine again. It's just not the same without you. Kim, you've been such a gem thru all of this... I'm not sure you know how much we all appreciate you!! Safe travels back home. Can't wait to see you...

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I am so glad to hear that you are now back home! and that you don't need surgery!! Praise God! I will continue to pray for you as you begin physical therapy. God is going before you and He is carrying you through this.
    My you rest in the comfort of His Love.
    love you - Cari

    ReplyDelete